Thursday, September 20, 2012

SUMEDHA, A YOUNG MILLIONAIRE, GIVING AWAY HIS PROPERTY IN CHARITY

The Future Buddha was once born as the son of a rich man and was known as "Sumedha" in the very existence in which he was to make a solemn wish that he should become the Enlightened Buddha. His parents died while he was still young, leaving him many treasure vaults of gold and silver. When he was sixteen years of age and had finished his education, the Lord of the Treasury made over to him all the property left by his parents. Sumedha the young millionaire thought to himself thus: "My parents and grand-parents knew only how to amass wealth but did not know to take it away beyond death. I shall now give away my property in alms so that the merit of the deeds may follow me after death." He made a public announcement: "Whoever cares to take away my property may open my treasuries and help himself to his heart's content." He then left for the Himalaya forests and became a hermit.

No comments: